These are the opinions of writers and not the opinions of 407apartments.com or any of our advertising partners.
Known for its sunny skies, balmy temperatures, and picturesque views, Orlando is home to some of the Sunshine State's best outdoor activities. With everything from hang gliding and adventure courses to state parks and natural springs, ‘The City Beautiful' is the perfect place for adventurers, nature lovers, thrill seekers, and families alike! So, get out of your Orlando apartment for a day of fun in the sun – and be sure not to forget your shades, sunscreen, and a camera to capture every moment!
Orlando's Best Outdoor Activities
- Lake Louisa State Park: Satisfy your inner outdoor enthusiast with a trip to Lake Louisa State Park, a 4,500-acre slice of paradise with rolling hills, picturesque lakes, sprawling trees, and a wealth of family-friendly activities for all ages. If you're a fan of the water, you'll likely enjoy activities like kayaking, canoeing, fishing, and swimming. The fun doesn't stop there, bring your bike or a pair of comfortable walking shoes to enjoy the Park's nature trails, or ride horseback on a guided eco-tour. If you're staying for the day, bring a picnic or have a cookout at one of the complimentary barbecue areas. Extend your stay and camp under the stars with a 60-tent family campground and cabins for those who prefer to camp in style, commonly referred to as ‘glamping'.
- Wekiva Island: Head to Wekiva Island, located in Longwood just 15 miles north of Orlando, for an afternoon of fun at the pristine, crystal clear springs that make up the Wekiva River. Getting from one end of the river to the other can be achieved a few different ways: canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding, or boating. You likely won't want to swim the length of the river as it's an impressive 8 miles in length and a brisk 72 degrees year-round. Swimmers are welcome at Wekiva's Boardwalk in designated swimming areas. There are also several land-based activities like sand volleyball, fishing, hiking, bicycling, horseback riding, or even enjoying a frosty beverage from The Tooting Otter, Wekiva's very own indoor/outdoor bar.
- Leu Gardens: With over 50-acres of sensational botanical gardens, Leu Gardens is an absolute must-see! Located just minutes from your Orlando apartment, you'll find a beautiful oasis of exotic plants, blooming flowers, and artistic sculptures, as well as a unique historical and cultural presence best seen at The Leu House Museum. In addition to touring the gardens, there are a few other stops you have to make before leaving Leu – visit the gift shop for a variety of unique gifts and garden accessories, learn about Central Florida's plant life at the reference library, or participate in an exciting outdoor treasure hunting game known as geocaching.
- Orlando Tree Trek: Thrill seekers will surely love Orlando Tree Trek, an aerial obstacle course with 97 amazing challenges, including hanging nets, zip lines, swinging logs, climbing ladders, suspended bridges, and Tarzan ropes. Conquer exhilarating obstacles as you soar through a natural pine forest with towering trees and picture-perfect views. Courses range in difficulty making it an ideal adventure for the whole family – starting from age 7 and up.
- Wallaby Ranch: Climb to new heights at Wallaby Ranch, the first full-time aerotow hang gliding flight park in the world! Capture a birds-eye view of beautiful Orlando while taking the ride of your lifetime from 2,000 feet in the air. Fly tandem with a trained instructor who can show you the ropes while ensuring you're both comfortable and safe so you can enjoy every minute of the experience.
Resort-style Amenities to Enjoy from Your Orlando Apartment
After a weekend of outdoor fun, you may be looking for ways to unwind and relax right from the comfort of your Orlando apartment. After an exciting day around the city, there's nothing better than a refreshing dip in the sparkling swimming pool, a game of b-ball at the sports courts, or an evening stroll with your pup at the dog park. Close out the day with a glass of wine and beautiful sun set views from your private patio/balcony or gather the kids for a weenie roast by the firepits.